Basically, a Voice over Internet Protocol number (VoIP number) is a telephone number that is used to route calls to a user’s actual phone number. Although the service provider offering VoIP service access is different from the one proving access services to traditional phones, a VoIP number works in the same way traditional phone service numbers do. VoIP uses the internet to make calls over long distances as if they were local calls without incurring extra charges. Furthermore, VoIP can also be used in chats as well as text messaging. If you’re wanting to make use of such software for personal or business needs, have a look at this voip phone system Melbourne can offer, or others similar that you can find available to you.
Discussed below are some of the reasons why you should get a VoIP number.
- Cost: VoIP is cost effective and pocket-friendly to the user. This is due to the fact that one only needs an internet connection to use the VoIP services. No extra money is required to purchase airtime or scratch cards as it’s the case in the traditional phone system in order to communicate. VoIP may require some monthly instalments at a fixed rate but still, the expense is less compared to maintaining a traditional phone system whose charges increase with the increase in distance between the people communicating. The fact that VoIP only relies on internet for communication through linking of one’s phone number reduces it to a one account for both phone internet.
- Flexibility: The VoIP network allows thousands of possible connections. This means that a group of people can teleconference if they all have a VoIP number. Many companies with an international outlook with companies all over the world have benefited from the use of VoIP whereby they hold meetings over the internet successfully to address their various concerns. This comes in hand as it helps them save on expenses that could otherwise have depleted their savings. VoIP flexibility is also seen in the VoIP phones’ ability to operate with any device. They will work with computers, tablets as well as VoIP phones which may not necessarily be new equipment but existing telephone system which has transitioned over to a VoIP phone system.
- Accessibility: As long as one has a stable internet connection, they are good to go. They can communicate freely for as long as they wish from anywhere in the world at any time of the day or night. This means that VoIP phone system is not dependent on distance or location to make a call; hence, making accessibility by VoIP numbers a non-issue in communication hindrance. VoIP user can effortlessly communicate halfway around the world as long as they are signed in from their broadband account from any device and their internet connectivity is strong.
- Area Code Choice: VoIP phone users have the freedom to pick an area code of their choice for their VoIP number. This enables the users to make calls without getting charged over long distances to an area code of their choice. This freedom of choice has proved to be of advantage, especially to business owners who can make long distance calls without extra charges, and it has also enabled them establish credibility amongst locals by choosing a local number.
- Voice Quality: Voice quality is guaranteed when one uses a VoIP phone in making a call. A VoIP phone user needs to only check on the strength and stability of the internet connection to get voce clarity. This is advantageous over traditional phones which depend on waves to submit a signal which means that if the signal is weak, then the voice quality is compromised and one may not be in the position to clearly get what is being said on the other end. However, using a VoIP phone in rural areas that have no stable internet connection may hinder voice quality.
- Number Portability: Number portability in this sense involves maintaining one’s original phone number after opting for a VoIP service. This simply means that there is no need to change a user’s phone number or get a completely new number when they switch to VoIP services. VoIP number portability saves one from unnecessary downtime of making changes to social as well as business websites in order to maintain undisturbed communication. This helps one maintain a healthy communication relationship with loved ones. In the case of businesses, business men get to maintain their clients through uninterrupted communication thus maximizing profits.