- 1 Why Teachers Matter?
- 2 The Best Teachers Around the Globe
- 3 State Teacher of the Year
- 4 National Teacher of the Year
- 5 National Science Teachers Association Awards
- 6 The Presidential Awards for Excellence in Mathematics and Science Teaching
- 7 Milken Educator Awards
- 8 The Bottom Line: The Impact of Best Teacher Awards
What does being a student mean?
It is all about gaining knowledge, obtaining vital skills, developing, and growing personally. And there is also a teacher involved in the educational process.
An educator is a mentor who shares everything they know with us, helping each person become smarter and better.
Why Teachers Matter?
This question is so simple and yet so complicated. No one can argue with the fact that teachers play a vital role in every person’s life, as well as in the success of every nation and humanity in general.
So, why does this profession matter so much? Here are some of the key reasons:
- These people make a huge contribution to every community. First of all, they educate us. Of course, the core mission of every professional is to bring knowledge to the masses. However, their contribution doesn’t stop there;
- Apart from sharing knowledge, educators are among the people responsible for the personality’s formation of every human being. In the classroom, they help children obtain some vital life skills. They instill in us the right values and behavior patterns;
- Another reason why this profession matters is that teachers coach, mentor, and inspire. They become our guides into adulthood, who help us get prepared for what life has in store;
- Educators provide support and assistance. In the modern world, students of all academic levels have access to multiple educational tools. They can research information, complete assignments, and go as far as to order an essay online using modern technologies. However, despite a variety of tools being available the first person we turn for help to is still a teacher;
- Also, good educators help learners become their better selves. They encourage individuality and play a vital role in helping us reveal our skills and talents. They strive to help us achieve better in everything we do, overcoming obstacles and growing stronger even after a failure;
- An educator is a person who can help you predetermine future success in life, career, business, and other aspects. They are the ones who provide us with all the knowledge, skills, and tools necessary to succeed. The rest depends only on how we decide to use these resources in the future;
- Most importantly, teachers help us in the long way of self-identification and development. They encourage discovering our true selves and are willing to help on each step of this uneasy path.
These are just a few of many answers to this question. However, even looking at these points, it becomes pretty clear that the role of teachers in our lives is close to heroic. They support, listen, mentor, and assist us in every step, and this is why they deserve the highest praise.
The Best Teachers Around the Globe
The celebration of educators’ mastery is vital to encourage the contribution these people make into the development and formation of new generations and inspire them for further achievements.
In different forms, every community strives to award outstanding professionals. Many countries and facilities themselves offer cash bonuses and different privileges to their best teachers.
However, the highest accomplishment a teacher can make is to nominate and win one of the national or global awards that glorify innovation and professionalism.
What are awards for educators available in the USA? Here are our top five picks:
State Teacher of the Year
This is one of the most honorary titles American specialists in the field of education can gain. This program is sponsored by the CCSSO (Council of Chief State School Officers).
Every year, each state’s communities carefully select educators who have shown professionalism and great accomplishment in the profession. The most prominent one is awarded the title of the state’s best teacher.
National Teacher of the Year
This program was first launched in 1952. Since that time, each year, the program honors the best educators who show excellence in teaching.
Traditionally, the candidates of the national award are those educators who were previously selected as state teachers of the year. This title is also awarded annually and is very prestigious.
In the framework of the program, the candidate who was selected as a winner is released from the classroom for a year. During this time, one’s mission is to travel across the country and the world, representing the profession.
National Science Teachers Association Awards
The NSTA was established in 1944. This organization offers plenty of opportunities for educators who show outstanding performance. The organization hosts a number of great recognition awards for science educators of all levels.
Depending on the specific program and qualifications, the prize can be any of the following. Recognition at one of the NSTA’s events ranges from $500 to $10,000 in cash. There are also opportunities to get free trips to the national convention.
All programs offered by the NSTA are annual. Educators can send their applications from the organization’s website after choosing the award they are eligible for.
Also, educators can be nominated by other people (for example, students, school authorities, parents, etc.) through the site.
The Presidential Awards for Excellence in Mathematics and Science Teaching
The award given by the US President is the highest honor for educators. This program is sponsored by the National Science Foundation and was established by the White House.
The awarding is held annually. There are several different categories to nominate in. On the official page of the program, educators are encouraged to submit their applications if they are eligible for the award.
In the framework of this event, each year, the US President can recognize up to 108 outstanding teachers. The awards include a certificate straight from the US President, a $10,000 cash prize, a free trip to Washington DC for an honorable award ceremony, and (in some cases) trips to other professional events.
Milken Educator Awards
This is the last, but not least honorable opportunity for the US educators on our list. This program operates all across the country, so teachers from any state can be selected. The goal of the award is to recognize and honor outstanding professionals in the field of education.
The award is held annually. Each year, it recognizes the biggest talents in this profession and awards them with public recognition and generous cash prizes of $25,000.
How to apply? Every state’s department of education shapes a special committee that picks the best candidates and recommends them for evaluation of the Milken Family Foundation.
The Bottom Line: The Impact of Best Teacher Awards
Contests like the Milken Family Foundation, National Teacher of the Year, and others spark up the competition. Thus, they stimulate professionals to strive for better results.
What impact does this have on students, profession, and the world? With teachers striving to make a change in the industry, students are getting more benefits in the form of enhanced knowledge, a more engaging academic program, greater achievements, and overall success.
As for the profession in general, contests like these embrace innovation and change. In the framework of the competition, professionals become more open to experimenting, which allows them to generate new, fresh ideas and innovative educational techniques.
Besides, honoring the best specialists, we let others know about their success and inform the public of the most trending educating methods.
With all of this in mind, it is fair to say that awarding real pros has numerous benefits for the global community. Thus, it is a great initiative to support and encourage!