Between 2011 and 2018, gambling expenditure in New Zealand rose steadily from NZ$1,982 to NZ$2,383. In the 2019/2020 financial year, New Zealand’s spending from gambling activities; NZ Racing Board (TAB), NZ Lotteries Commission, Gaming Machines (outside casinos), and casinos totalled NZ$2,252.
These figures point to a relatively vibrant gambling market.
The best online casinos in New Zealand offer a mix of games, bonuses, safety and security features, and easy-to-navigate site layouts, you’ll find a compiled list of our top selections to help you find the finest casino site.
Online casinos and online games are top-rated.
To regulate such a big and dynamic industry, the government deploys various bodies; the Department of Internal Affairs, New Zealand Lottery Commission, New Zealand Gambling Commission, and the Ministry of Health for regulation.
New Zealand’s legal guidelines on online gaming are encapsulated in the Gambling Act of 2003, which has hitherto experienced progressive improvements to keep pace with developing online casino practices.
The Act regulates gambling activities to lessen gambling-related problems among kiwi gamblers. The Department of Internal affairs segments gambling activities into various classes based on the payout limits to operationalize the Act. These classes include
- Class 1 Gambling. It is the only class that individuals can conduct. Prizes and turnover capped at NZ$500.
- Class 2. Turnover and prizes in this class range from NZ$500 to NZ$25,000. Societies run class 2 gambling, and no individual license is required.
- Class 3 and 4. Prizes in this class should be over NZ$5000. Class 4 mainly alludes to gambling via gaming machines. It is illegal to conduct class 3 and 4 gambling without a valid license.
Further, the gambling act of 2003 has numerous other legal provisions which legalize online casinos licensed in foreign countries. Here are some highlights regarding online casinos and casino games.
- The minimum legal age for online casino players in New Zealand is 20 years.
- Remote interactive gambling is considered illegal. Although there are exemptions to this law, interactive gambling, which denotes gambling by distant parties/persons through communication devices, radio, computers, or telephones, is illegal.
- Prohibition of remote gambling within New Zealand does not, however, prohibit online wagering on foreign-based online casinos. Thus, it is not illegal to register with overseas online gambling sites.
When playing real money games, whether in New Zealand or elsewhere, the choice of payment methods is crucial. Payment methods choice is based on reliability, affordability, convenience, transaction processing timelines, and security of transactions and personal data. By weighing in on these factors, internet casinos in New Zealand accept various payment methods.
- MasterCard and Visa credit/debit cards. Most online casino sites in New Zealand accept deposits via MasterCard and Visa cards. Deposits through these cards are instantly processed. Withdrawals are processed within 3-5 working days.
- e-Wallets. The best casinos accept several conventional electronic wallets in New Zealand. Skrill, Neteller, and PayPal are a few examples. e-Wallets have traction with gamers because of their relatively faster transaction processing timelines. Deposits are instant, while withdrawals can be processed within a day. E-wallets are highly secure due to extra security layers and authentication processes before a withdrawal is allowed. When using electronic wallets, casinos will likely ask for verification by submitting a scanned copy of your ID, driving license, or passport.
- Cryptocurrencies. Disruptive blockchain technology is penetrating the gambling industry in New Zealand. Online casinos, like BitStarz, are allowing you to access their casino games via Bitcoin payments. Crypto enthusiasts enjoy almost instant deposits and withdrawals and anonymous digital transfers.
- Prepaid cards. Paysafecard is a standard prepaid payment method in New Zealand. Gamblers purchase a ticket online with a unique code to fund their casino accounts. POLi is another prepaid method for New Zealander gamers. Through POLi, you can make deposits to Skrill or Neteller e-wallets.
- Direct Bank Transfer. Bank transfers are a reliable way to fund your casino account. Bank wires are, however, slow. Crediting deposits can take up to 72 hours, while withdrawals processing can take 5-7 days.
While gambling laws in New Zealand prohibit local online casinos, innumerable overseas casinos offer a limitless choice of exciting games to casino lovers in New Zealand. The top casino games categories provided include;
Online Slots: Pokies or slots are the most popular gaming category in New Zealand online casinos. Games like Lightning Link, Big Red, Mega Moolah, and More Chili are popular. They are fancied because of rich 3D graphics, animations, and diverse themes Developers like Microgaming, NetEnt, Betsoft, and Red Tiger feature in many NZ casinos.
Table Games: Online casino enthusiasts in New Zealand have access to games like Blackjack, Baccarat, Roulette, and a collection of poker variants.
Live Casino: New Zealanders love slick virtual tables and interactive virtual dealers in live casino lobbies. In many online casinos, you will come across this section with an immersive and decorated virtual casino floor that mimics a land-based casino experience. You can choose to play against the online casino dealer. Alternatively, some casinos will offer you a chance to play against human players through a virtual connection.
The New Zealand gambling market attracts top-notch casinos with amazing bonuses. Here is our listing of the standard offers by different casinos.
Welcome bonus offer: Mostly, this is a cash match capped at a predetermined figure. Free spins could be attached too. Welcome bonuses offer free money to new account sign-ups.
Free spins bonus: The casino could award free plays or result from in-game slot moves, mainly through scatter symbol activations.
Cashback bonus: Cashback is a form of deposit bonus in which a casino gives back to the player a certain percentage of wagers lost within a given period.
VIP bonus: Casinos like LeoVegas, Jackpot City, and Lucky Nugget have VIP programs where players access lots of bonus cash and other exclusive gaming perks.
New casinos with cool features find their way into the New Zealand virtual gaming territory. Our brief coverage of the most excellent and trusted new online casinos in New Zealand is here.
This spanking new casino was launched in 2021 by Genesis Group. Casino Playerz ensures you play responsibly by allowing you to access self-restricting tools. The casino is licensed by the UK Gambling Commission and the Malta Gaming Authority. It has a rich portfolio of games sourced from NetEnt, Microgaming, BetSoft, and Red Tiger.
This casino is among the newest additions by White Hat Gaming Limited. It features a fantastic bonus cashback of up to NZ$400, an exciting games lobby, excellent customer support 24/7, plus a broad range of payment methods.
This new casino takes pride in a game collection with more than 2000 games. You can play responsibly here as the Malta Gaming Authority licenses the casino. The multi-tier casino welcome bonus features a cash match of 100% up to NZ$1300 plus 250 free spins.