Most of us acknowledge the fact that Mathematics holds great significance in our lives. But, some students want to get away with it as soon as possible. Unfortunately, there is no point in envisaging such a delusional world wherein mathematics and its related concepts and principles remain absent. Mathematical concepts are omnipresent so, you cannot evade them and, this is a fact that’ll hold for the rest of your life. Everyone applies some concept related to maths, every single day, either subconsciously or knowingly to get things done. Therefore, maths is an indispensable part of our lives. For many students, maths is a tough nut to crack and, they struggle in understanding the basic concepts.
If you are one of those who get intimidated as soon as you face maths, this article will help you fix this issue. Not everyone is fond of this subject as maths can become very hectic and complex at times. Witnessinghardship while understanding is a normal situation. But, ignoring the dilemma and continuing without any change in mindset can deteriorate the situation further. You’ll most likely face a deadlock if you don’t take accountability and work towards eliminating the fear and anxiety related to maths.
It is when competitions such as the International Mathematics Olympiad play a dominant role in shifting the overall perspective of students towards mathematics. It is a compelling platform that allows students to showcase their talent and understanding related to maths alongside the utilization of mathematical concepts in different situations. These Pan-India competitions are conducted at the school level annually. They sharpen t perception of the students and increase the mental strength that is required to tackle any competitive exam without any difficulty. As a parent, you must encourage your child to voluntarily participate in the mathematics olympiad due to the following reasons:
- Olympiads increase the fundamental understanding of concepts. Students can conveniently develop self-confidence by working hard and practising the questions during the preparation for the exam.
- Participation in the olympiads will help in the development of a keen interest in maths and promote a better understanding of the concepts. Moreover, participation in olympiads will also enhance the analytical reasoning abilities along with the IQ.
- Maths olympiad tests the student’s arithmetic skills and provides them with an experience of the competitive examination. AS you participate in successive Olympiads, you will not fear competitions anymore and you can perform desirably even under conditions of immense pressure and confusion. Due to the considerable difficulty level, not many students can qualify for the second round of the international maths olympiad.
- If you prepare for the maths olympiad with proper concentration and focus, it will instil a sense of self-discipline and perseverance within your personality.
- Last but not least, the preparation for any competitive exam will act as a compelling factor for you to step out of your comfort zone and try to gain the necessary experience while trying to achieve a common goal through cut-throat competition. You have to be mentally and emotionally strong to tackle the pessimistic thoughts that come along your path every time you lose focus.
Apart from these obvious benefits, the International Mathematics Olympiad (IMO) has a series of other technical advantages to offer. Parents should encourage their children to participate in this exam because the earlier you get to experience the thrill and anxiety that comes along with any competitive exam, you can easily develop the necessary skills to tackle such unwelcomed situations. Such capabilities tend to become sharper gradually over time.
Furthermore, those students who struggle to understand mathematics and are intrigued by the complex nature of the topics can easily develop a keen interest in mathematics because they participate in the maths olympiad. A student’s analytical thinking abilities, vocabulary, grammar and problem-solving capacities can be easily improved at a younger age. A student of Class 5 cannot create a perception about maths on his own.
Even if a negative perception towards the subject has cropped up in the mind of the student, thinking that is contradictory to that perception can also be promoted with significant efforts. Parents must go through the IMO Maths Olympiad Previous Year Question Paper Class 5 to keep a note of the type of questions that are usually asked in the exam. Your child is more likely to volunteer in the successive olympiads in higher classes only when he or she is inquisitive about learning more and more about mathematical concepts.
Strong enthusiasm for the subject can be developed during the tender years in a student’s life. It is necessary to participate in these exams because a student can easily distinguish his problem-solving technique. Every person has a different level of understanding and interpretation of concepts. Thus, it becomes necessary to introspect oneself and realize your personalized manner of dealing with problems and reaching acceptable solutions.
It is a widely known fact that the students who qualify for the second stage and eventually ace the exam get significant rewards and recognition because not everyone can reach that level. Moreover, if a student manages to get a medal along with the recognition, he or she gets a scholarship reward that can easily make the distant dream of studying abroad possible. Not every student can work rigorously and dedicate the necessary attention and focus towards the preparation for this exam. Students have to manage their school curriculum along with the preparation for the IMO.
But, it may sound illogical to some students, but trying to balance the school’s syllabus alongside preparation for this exam will prove beneficial in the long run. As a student, you’ll need to manage your time effectively and try to remain productive throughout your day as long as you can. The top rankers are not someone who possess some special abilities. They are just as normal as you are but, their ability to concentrate on the goal, commitment towards the exam and the willingness to work harder each day creates the difference. Considering the immense benefits IMO offers for the students, it is the duty of the parents to motivate their children to actively participate in such competitive examinations.