Pros of moving to San Francisco
- There are so many job opportunities in SF – the economy across the entire Bay area is booming at this moment, thanks to Silicon Valley. There are also other high tech industries in the area which make it one of the most robust economies in present day. You will be able to find work at Netflix, Google, Facebook, Apple, and various other tech giant brands, provided you are adequately skilled. It is also the ideal place for people to create a start-up. If you are not skilled in the tech sector, there are still many other job opportunities available in healthcare, hospitality and various other sectors.
- San Francisco is a short drive to California so you can travel as often as you need to, and experience the best of both cities. There is lots to do in San Francisco as well as California so you will never be bored. You can take a drive to Yosemite or Lake Tahoe. Places like Napa Valley and Half Moon Bay are also a must see.
- Public transport covers every area of the city – If you want to save money on fuel and car payments, you can travel with one of the various means of public transport available. You have access to cabs, buses, scooters, light rail and many more modes of transport.
- Many SF employers offer free transportation to their staff members. This is another reason why it is feasible to live and work in SF.
- You can rent a furnished room in San Francisco at a fraction of the price that you would pay to rent a home on your own.
- There are so many activities that you can enjoy when living in SF – there are two well-known NFL teams in the area. You can watch NBA, NHL and MLS while you are in the city. There are also Museums to visit in the area.
- San Francisco is rich in cultural diversity – One of the many reasons that people are attracted to relocating to SF is because of the diversity of cultures. Race, ethnicity, gender and religion are not relevant here. There is a place for everyone in the city and people find it easy to integrate in any area that they choose.
- SF is the fifth richest economy in the world – the SF economy is very strong and consistent. It has more influence than the UK which has a population of 26 million people that are contributing to the GDP.
- SF embraces people’s creativity – the city has a high level of creativity and self-expression which is lots of fun for those wanting to embrace it.
- SF is dog friendly – if you are a dog lover then you would be pleased to know that there are plenty of dog parks in the area which offer a vast area for your furry friend to run free. There are also many bars in the area which allow you to bring your dog in, provided it isn’t a busy night.
- People living in SF take fitness seriously – the weather in SF is great for hiking and cycling. People living there generally want to enjoy the outdoors so you will find many people outdoors. There are even restaurants in the city that specifically cater to your need for healthier meals and high-carb foods.
Cons of living in SF
There are also a few cons of living in SF such as:
- The cost of living is high despite the economy being great, you must be prepared to spend more than the average American on food.
- There is a possibility of an earthquake or storm in SF – the earthquake in 1906 that destroyed 80% of the city is still the deadliest earthquake in US history.
- Even though there is so much of public transport available, the traffic is terrible. You would need to avoid all highways at all costs.
- Your neighbourhood will define who you are – even though there is such a diversity in the city, you are ultimately defined by the neighbourhood that you live in.
- Drug addiction and homelessness is an issue in the city. Certain neighbourhoods are worse than others when it comes to the homeless population and crime levels.
Every city has its pros and cons, and SF is no different. However, it is a good move that will be sure to change your life for the better and expose you to many great opportunities.