There is no denying that the Internet is the number one channel for people to seek answers to their questions, get help, solve their problems and get recommendations or suggestions. The reach is unbelievable – you can reach billions of people by making your content available to them online.
This is where keyword research comes into play. To better understand what keyword research is and why is it important, keep reading the post below where we will be taking you through an overview of the topic and how it can help you out as a digital marketer.
What are Keywords and Why is Keyword Research Important?
What is the first thing you do when you need to buy something, learn something or even get information on a topic? You visit Google or YouTube, type in your search query and you find what you have been looking for. Now, the words or phrases that you entered are known as “keywords”.
Through data analytics, we know 9 out of 10 users make use of search engines to look for information. Search engines, in return, uses their complex algorithms to sift through the data and show the most relevant results. This is the reason why keywords play an important role in matching your website content to what your target customers are looking for.
Targeting the right selection of right keywords and keyword phrases would attract the right traffic to your content or website and that will contribute to the bottom line of your business.
Keyword research plays a vital role in the process of matching your website content to what your visitors are looking for. The better your research and targeting the right keywords, the better you can target your ideal customers – those that are likely to buy your products or services. This is the reason why the selection of the right keywords is a vital part of the internet marketing campaign process.
Things to Pay Attention to During Keyword Research
If you are interested in making a mark on the online marketplace, the right selection of keywords will play a vital role in determining the success and failure of your business. Below are some of the important things you need to pay attention to while researching the keywords to use. You can also work with a digital marketing agency in California that will bring its expertise in helping you in making this vital process a success. Here’s what you should focus on:
- Creating a list of keywords – Put yourself in the shoes of your targeted visitors and create an initial list of keywords that can be used to find products and services that you are offering. What are they looking for? How does that relate to your products or services? This list of keywords is a good starting point of what your customers would be searching for.
- Streamline the keywords using research tools – There are various free and paid keyword research tools available that can help you sort through your initial keywords. You want to plug in your initial list of keywords into these keyword tools, and start understating which keywords may be good and which are less than ideal to spend your efforts targeting. These tools will help you see the volume of traffic on your keywords, understand the difficulty of targeting them, and see the real demand.
- Refine your keyword list – In order to be more accurate, you will want to select the most relevant keywords and also those that the most relatable to your product and services. The use of keyword suggestion tools can provide you with better insights in how your keywords should be arranged for better outcomes, and better keywords than you may have selected to this point.
- Use specific keywords – If you offer specific products or services, use keywords that are relevant to your business. This is a bit tedious process but targeting the right set of keywords would give you a higher chance of attracting targeted leads and traffic for ecommerce conversions.
- Understand the keyword difficulty – If the keywords you have selected are facing problems ranking in search engine results, you need to ask yourself some questions. How many people are searching for your keywords? What is the level of competition? How many websites are targeting the same keywords as you? Getting answers to all these questions would help you choose the right set of keywords that can rank high in the search engines.
By choosing the right set of keywords, you can target the people who are searching for products and services like yours and bring quality traffic back to your website.
Also, there are various free and paid keyword research tools available that can be used to make your job easy.
Google makes websites rank in the search results by following a simple logic – the best answers come first. This is the reason why Google has started working on knowledge graphs.
Keyword research is critical because it helps you to understand market demand. By targeting the right keywords, you can target quality leads and provide services that best help serve your customers.
After getting some deeper insight into how the overall process works, you can make a better decision on what keywords are worth focusing on. Follow these tips and tricks and you are sure to make the right choice that can help your business quickly rise above the competition.
Don’t have the time to master keyword research? You can also work with companies providing search engine optimization services to not only strategize and locate your best keywords, but also put that keyword research into effect by building and executing the best search engine optimization strategy for your business, to get you real results.